Two Yanks Downunder

A blog about the experiences of two Americans on their first visit to the fabulous continent of Australia

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Of things Blue and Blown

October 3, 2006

It was a darkand stormy night (seriously) with lots of wind and this set the tone for the day which was our least enjoyable of our trip, but still an absolutely lovely experience. The weather just would not cooperate and in the morning it would pour formidably, stop for a moment and then let forth again. This did not bode well for Jima nd Julia's first attempt at hiking along hte Bibbulman track and it meant we would look for inside activities for the day. We decided to go to galleries. Unfortunately Botanica was closed on Tuesdays, but we went to Roseie's quilt shop next door where we got an up close view of some of the blue Fairy wrens. The woman was very nice, but unfortunatley country crafts are really not my things, so I did not find anything I wanted to purchase.



We next went to the Fine Wood Craft gallery, where we browsed and stopped and had tea.



On the plane the woman next to me had raved about Devonshire tea and how we absolutely had to have it in the Blue Mountains when we were there. Unfortunately Don and I stopped at a Healthy place where they did not serve it and I had been curious for months about what Devonshire tea really was. So Mom and I ordered Devonshire tea (which I replaced with Devonshire coffee) and ate our scones with cream and jelly - discussing whether one was supposed to put the cream on top of the jelly or the jelly on top of the cream. After crossing through the garden pictured above, we stopped at the other shop and could not get away from a Welsh man who talked endlessly of the "Goddess" and how George Bush and Tony Blair would get their just desserts eventually (because of her?) It seems the Welsh were the first to espouse a feminized world view (according to his world view). I couldn't help thinking of the Flying Dutchman and the little poem about the Welsh - "You can always tell the English, you can always tell the Dutch, you can always tell a Welshman,..." etc.


I could not resist a small inexpensive acquisition of some prints before we left and then we headed to the Gold N Grape, another woodcraft gallery where there was a very friendly black dog (and where I spent a half hour in the parking lot on my hands and knees searching under the car seat for an errant contact lense. (Hush, Don!)

The weather cleared to some extent around 3:00, so we went off to the Gloucester tree (a fire tree which has big spikes hammered in in a spiral so that it can be climbed to check out the region for forest fires. It is one of the three big trees formerly used for this purpose.) I climbed a few rungs ( few more than I did the last time I was there.)



There was a lovely trail in the area, but we were surprised to see almost no flowers at all there.



The parrots were bold and brazen...



and I can never resist taking pictures of such colorful things...



We went around the 800 meter trail admiring the trees and then decided to finally visit the Big Brook dam (which I'll write about in the next post!)

1 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous min said...

How was the Devonshire tea? Or even coffee?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home