Two Yanks Downunder

A blog about the experiences of two Americans on their first visit to the fabulous continent of Australia

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Falling for the Falls

As I mentioned in my last post, when we turned east the vegetation changed drastically. Eventhough it had clearly rained (and there was still rain in the gullies) it looked like a dry formidable climate with grey stunted and twisted trees, many with bare limbs,...



... what Mom called a grotesque forest.



This did not however mean an absence of wildflowers. They were not as visually evident, but were still to be found everywhere in the brush and along the sides of the road.



We stopped and had lunch on the shoulder and of course I took the opportunity to go photograph some of the blossoms.



We took our time getting to Pemberton stopping along the way as we saw fit and photographing what interested us.



As we got close to Pemberton we were back in the area of the big trees again. Here we stopped at a Park to enjoy the karri trees and visit the water falls that Let's Go describes as horizontal.



It was quite a climb up, but we were old hands at climbing up and down after the caves, so we marched on gamely and were rewarded with a lovely view of tumbling water from a creaky (and somewhat scary suspension bridge.)



There were many picturesque moments as we rounded a curve in the path or reached a viewing platform.



(And of course there were flowers blooming all around too. )



Can you believe this woman hiked a cave and did this waterfall too all in the same day?! (See I didn't leave her in the cave!)



More flowers:



And this is a shot just to give an indication of the size of the trees.



It was getting towards 6:00 and as anyone who has ever stayed at Glenhaven Bed and Breakfast knows, there is only rule and that is to be there for sherry at 6:00 to meet the other residents and place one's breakfast orders. Mom and I enjoyed our lemonade and met Jim and Julia who had come from Fremantle to do the Bibbulman track in the area and Eliza and David also from Fremantle. I took a bit of time to chat with Jackie and Jim in their kitchen and to catch up on the granddaughter that had been born around the time of Don's and my prior visit and also to pay for an ebay item I had accidentally (oh, okay I'm addicted, I admit it) won after departing on our holiday. The grand daughter, by the way, is absolutely gorgeous with a shock of dark hair and an adorable smile.

Mom and I ended up not going out that evening. My back was killing me and I just didn't want to drive, so we had boxed dinner in and Jackie provided us with a nice plate of tomatoes and cheese, which was absolutely perfect.



Our rooms were great, decorated with quilts in a green theme, complete with complimentary candy and impeccable country decor. We had the room in the back with twin beds and a lovely view of the garden.



Jackie and Jim claim not to be gardeners, but the grounds are gorgeous. Unfortunately this shot does not convey the abundance of color and beauty of the landscaping behind the house.



I'm kicking myself for forgetting to get a picture of Jackie, but here is her garden and she is as lovely as the flowers in the garden both physically and in personality. I highly recommend staying at Glenhaven if you happen to be in the vicinity.

3 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous min said...

Wow! What a day! I'll bet those quilts felt good.
How many of those parrots are really alive and how many did you just nail there for effect?

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Wendy and/or Don said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Wendy and/or Don said...

I know Mom must have been exhausted (especially since I made her nail all those parrots down before I took my pictures! By the way, they WERE alive (before she nailed them down.) ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home