Two Yanks Downunder

A blog about the experiences of two Americans on their first visit to the fabulous continent of Australia

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Caversham Wildlife Park Zwei



This is a blue-winged Kookaburra. While we were there he actually performed his laughing call.

One of the neat things about the park is that they also have camel rides and although reputedly we will have an opportunity to ride camels in Broome, I decided to take the plunge and do it here. You never know what might happen between now and then.



Riding a camel causes a jerky rocking back and forth in the saddle. I got the feeling, that my camel really didn't want to carry me. He tried to brush me off on a fence post (an old riding trick that horses use on the inexperienced learners.) Even though I'm no "Ahab the Arab", I stayed the course and pretty soon Clyde was behaving like a gentleman. We rode on horse style saddles and not the platform saddles that one sees in Middle eastern countries. I was hanging on for dear life as it was, and cannot imagine having to perch on top of the other type of saddle without being plunged off by the motion of the camel's gait.



I believe this is a bush tailed possum, but it sure doesn't look very bushy (maybe its bush like outback).



And this is a wombat in his cage out back behind the petting area. She looks a lot more happy here!



After our guide left us we were able to wander around the park at will and there were lots of interesting cages and nooks and crannies we had not yet seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home