Two Yanks Downunder

A blog about the experiences of two Americans on their first visit to the fabulous continent of Australia

Thursday, July 20, 2006

A Rainy Day in Fremantle



Our visit in Sydney was wonderful and although our hotel room was a bit of a dive, we had a great time viewing the Sydney sites. Downtown was sparkling, modern and beautiful, and of course we did all the usual tourist stuff, visited the opera house and some museums. We were fascinated to see that the Australians keep stuffed animals behind bars. Perhaps it relates to their heritage (since Australia started off as a penal colony.) I guess this is something we'll never really know. We'll write more on Sydney later, but in the mean time I want to write a little bit about our time in Fremantle.

It is the rainy season in Western Australia and unfortunately it has been very dry here this winter. Lovely for us in terms of seeing the town and getting our bearings, but of course not good for the crops and the water table, so we really have to be glad that it has decided to be rainy and cool today. Don and I spent the day getting ready for students and taking care of program business. We set up the bank account and Don headed off to a fantastic bakery on the south side of town. I located my office and was given a school e-mail account (which is up and functional in record time, I understand), so now it is just a matter of waiting for the students. We hung out at home and cooked our second meal at home. Chicken tonight (but it was not nearly as good as the lamb stew we had the night before. This is a fairly mundane report, but I promise eventually to get Don into blogging and I'm sure the quality and entertainment value of this blog will really pick up after that. (It had better do so, I am boring myself to tears trying to proof-read what I have written so far!!) In the mean time, here he is in our new digs. As you can tell we are both still a bit out of focus and jet lagged. We hope over the next few days to get a bit sharper and entertain a bit more with quiet, cynical observations and humor. (Okay, that's probably hoping for too much, but it couldn't get much worse, now could it!!?) The house we are located in is absolutely gorgeous and we are housed way above our class. I guess I'm going to have to spend some time on line figuring out about cleaning schedules and such. I suspect I am not up to the task of living in such a beautiful and elegant place. There is a nautical theme with beautiful elegant lines, very clean. The living room is one floor up from the ground floor entry and there is a loft above the kitchen area (which I'll show next time.)

1 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous min said...

I love the BEFORE picture of the house. I can't wait to see the AFTER!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home