Two Yanks Downunder

A blog about the experiences of two Americans on their first visit to the fabulous continent of Australia

Friday, July 21, 2006


We arrived in Los Angeles after a nearly four hour NWA flight Thursday evening. They gave us back two hours and it was now about 700 p.m. instead of the 900 p.m. back in MN where our biological clocks thought we were. The weather in L.A. which could have been an oven like 95 F was instead a very pleasant 70 with a light breeze. Perfect for stretching our cramped up legs by walking outdoors from the domestic terminal where our NWA flight disgourged us over to one of the International terminals housing that unknown quantity Qantas Airlines.

(A balloon guy entertaining the waiting people in the NWA terminal-ws)

It turned out to be a good thing that we had those extra hours! We had been unable either by computer or telephone to get seating assignments or boarding passes for our Qantas leg from L.A. to Sydney. As this was to be a midnight departure and to endure for 14 hours, we really wanted to have seats and preferrably next to one another.

The serpentine lines in front of the Qantas desks were incredibly dense with people and baggage and soon after our finding a place at the end of this long chain others joined us and the doors to outside of the terminal stayed open permanently to accomodate the new found length of folks.

We soon noticed that most of the people in line spoke a bit differently although it seemed to be either English or something close to it. So, we soon found ourselves in conversation with a few Australians who were returning home from vacations here in the States. One beautiful young woman turned out to have been all over America involved in horseback riding competitions. We found this out since atop her baggage cart loaded with luggage was a very intimidating octagonal steel container of unusual shape. I though that she might be a doctor or scientist transporting sensitive medical samples or equipment, (which I mentioned to her afterwards much to her amusement) but it turned out to be an unbelievably beautiful and profoundly white decorative cowboy riding hat for her competitions. She and another woman and two men talked with us for some time suggesting that we see this or that and why and it really made our time in line pass much more quickly than we thought that it would. They were all on an earlier flight out so we would not see them again.

(He looks so serious, doesn't he? You'd never know... ws)

When we got to the front of the line Wendy secured us two seats next to one another and we took the plunge and each of us checked one of our bags. So, we thought we were pretty much set to sit around for about 2-3 hours for the flight, but things would not be, could not be, quite so simple now could they?


At 10:30 PM, Anonymous min said...

Wait a minute! I think I dated that balloon guy!

At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Wendy in Oz said...

Is that why he wouldn't give me aballoon!?


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home